Lead the Way to your Rabun Gap experience!

Get to know us! Ask if we are coming to your country, attend an information session in your home town or on our campus, schedule a tour, shadow a student.

Frequently Asked Questions

List of 18 frequently asked questions.

  • Q What are the qualifications to be considered a domestic vs international student?

    In order to apply as a domestic student, all of the following must be true:
    1. The student or parent/legal guardian must be a citizen of the United States.
    2. The parent/legal guardian must maintain a permanent residence in the United States (does not have to be the family's primary residence).
    3. The parent/legal guardian must pay US income taxes
  • Q Does Rabun Gap offer ESL support?

    Yes, we offer an English Immersion curriculum in grades 7-10 at a cost of $3,000. English Immersion is different from ESL in that it mimics the mainstream curriculum and offers an opportunity to transition to mainstream courses more quickly. If necessary, intensive ESL tutoring in all subjects is available for $6,000. Students are expected to be able to participate in all classes without English Immersion support by the 11th grade.
  • Q Will Rabun Gap help with the visa process?

    Yes. Once an international student enrolls in Rabun Gap, the Director of International Programming will guide families through the process of acquiring an F-1 student visa.
  • Q How do I obtain an I-20 from Rabun Gap?

    In order to send the I-20 we require the following:
    1. Signed enrollment contract
    2. Signed international agreement letter
    3. $5,300 deposit
    4. Copy of student passport
    5. Certificate of Deposit (COD) or bank letter showing sufficient funds to cover tuition and expenses for the full year
  • Q What are the minimum TOEFL and SSAT/ISEE scores needed to apply?

    To be considered a competitive candidate for admission, middle school applicants should generally strive for TOEFL scores of 60 or above. Applicants for 9th and 10th grades should seek TOEFL scores of 70 or above. Competitive 11th grade applicants should have TOEFL scores near or above 90. For the SSAT/ISEE, all applicants should strive for math scores in the 50th percentile or higher. In highly competitive markets, math scores in the 70th percentile or higher may ensure a more competitive application.
  • Q Do Chinese students have to interview with Vericant?

    Yes. You may contact Vericant directly to arrange your interview by clicking here. This requirement may be waived in some cases if an interview is conducted in-person either on the Rabun Gap campus or in China. In the case of a Chinese student who does not currently live in China, a Skype interview will be arranged once your application is complete.
  • Q Does Rabun Gap accept one-year and one-semester students?

    Yes, we welcome one-year students, and will accept qualified one-semester students in January if there is space. Space is limited, so please inquire early.
  • Q Does Rabun Gap offer an AP or IB curriculum?

    Rabun Gap provides an AP curriculum with over 25 AP courses offered each year.
  • Q What percentage of our students are international and where do they come from?

    55% of Rabun Gap's approximately 450 Upper and Middle School students are international, from 50 different countries.
  • Q At what age does Rabun Gap’s boarding program begin?

    Our boarding program begins in the 7th grade. In the Unites States this generally corresponds to students 12-13 years of age.
  • Q Does Rabun Gap offer a homestay option for international students?

    No. All Rabun Gap students must live either with a parent/family member or board in our dormitories.
  • Q Does Rabun Gap offer financial aid to international families?

    Yes. Rabun Gap is unique among most elite boarding schools in that we offer need-based financial aid to all of our families, both domestic as well as international. Learn more about our financial aid opportunities for international families.
  • Q Rabun Gap has a Presbyterian heritage. Can I attend Rabun Gap if I am not Christian?

    Yes. Rabun Gap prides itself on its diverse, global and multicultural community. With students from 50 different countries we welcome students and families from all different religious, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. While being proud of our Presbyterian heritage and chapel program, neither students nor faculty are required to be Christian in order to be part of the Rabun Gap community. What is required is that all students and faculty respect the Christian tradition as well as other traditions, and in order to graduate with a diploma from Rabun Gap, all students are required to fulfill a religious studies course requirement. In order to fulfill this requirement, students must pass three trimester-long courses: Old Testament, New Testament, and World Religions. These courses are normally taken and completed during the senior year. In addition, all Rabun Gap students are required to attend chapel services. For boarding students, these services take place on Thursdays and Sundays.
  • Q What do students do on the weekends?

    In addition to weekly trips to the supermarket, Wal Mart, local restaurants, Starbucks and the movie theater, additional trips and activities are planned and designed for our boarding students every weekend, depending on the options available. These activities may include trips to the Mall of Georgia, Six Flags Amusement Park, video arcades, a paintball course, sporting or theater events in Atlanta, or outdoor activities such as camping or kayaking, just to name a few. In general the costs involved in these activities are covered in the tuition - if interested, students simply need to sign up. On campus, students enjoy use of the full exercise room, gym facilities, campus grill, and all of our athletic fields. Students also enjoy roasting s'mores with their friends around the fire pit at night, playing flag football or dodgeball, or exploring our 1500-acre campus which includes a lake, hills, woods, fields, a putting green, and climbing towers. And yes, students are welcome to just sleep in and enjoy a late brunch and a cozy day watching television on the sofa in the dorm if they like as well!
  • Q What do international students do during the major holidays?

    The campus closes completely for the three major academic holidays: Thanksgiving in November for 10 days, Christmas in December for 3 weeks, and Spring Break in March for 2 weeks. During these holidays, it is the responsibility of the students and their families to arrange off campus plans. If they do not go home, most international students spend these holidays in the homes of their American friends from school.

    During shorter breaks such as Easter Break and Fall Break, the campus remains open and all boarding students are welcome to remain on campus.
  • Q How can I arrange taking the TOEFL, SAT and ACT for my college applications?

    The SAT and ACT are both offered on the Rabun Gap campus, and the Department of College Counseling will arrange for students to take the exams they require. In addition, Rabun Gap provides free transportation twice per year to the TOEFL exam either in Athens or Atlanta, once in the fall and once in the spring. Once the dates of the exams are announced, all students need to do is register for the test and sign up for the bus.
Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School is a private, coeducational day and boarding school for grades Pre-K through 12, located in Rabun Gap, GA. Centrally located between Atlanta, GA, Greenville, SC, and Asheville, NC, we combine our strong academic program, mountain setting, and Presbyterian heritage to inspire young people who are eager to learn and grow.

Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School does not discriminate regardless of race, color, religion, gender, disability, creed, or national origin.